ADSM/TSM on FreeBSD

Wolfpaw - Dale Corse admin-lists at wolfpaw.net
Mon May 5 08:02:05 PDT 2003

Hi Lukas,

 That is why I hate using "big corporations" for much of anything..
the sales guy is really nice when he wants to sell you something
worth a lot of money, but once you bought it.. well.. "your suggestion
has been noted".. or "oops, misquoted you that feature - it isn't
supported, but we can't do anything now, sorry".

I had that problem with Argus Systems once :) And they expect me
to pay $7000 for an upgrade to the most recent kernel versions so
it will be fixed :( .. bleh.

Sorry.. had to comment on a bit of bitterness I had stored up :P

Let me know who I should email, and I'll send one for you :)

Regards,
Dale.
--------------------------------
Dale Corse
System Administrator
Wolfpaw Services Inc.
http://www.wolfpaw.net
(780) 474-4095

ment/maintenance/client/>),
and this is what I got back:

---8<---
Lukas, there is currently not an IBM Tivoli Storage Manager client for
FreeBSD or NetBSD. Likewise, it is not recommended to "make it work"
using the available Linux emulation layer as well, since the TSM
server
may not be able to store information about this scenario properly.  I
will, however, forward your request to a marketing representative for
consideration.  Thank you for your feedback.
---8<---

And asked again if it would make sense to setup something like a
petition
(as we have done for NVidias video drivers), and I got this:

---8<---
Your request has been forwarded as a suggestion, Lukas.  As such, it
may
not get an overt response from our marketing or development
departments.
But for the time being, unfortunately, FreeBSD is not supported.

That does not mean your suggestion has not been heard, however.  If
you
want to pursue this issue, I would recommend that you and other
FreeBSD
users get involved with some of the IBM Tivoli User Groups and keep up
the suggestions.  If there truly is a large FreeBSD community out
there,
a campaign to contact our sales staff with this request would also
help
make the point.
---8<---

So, this means to me that we should contact them and flood them with
requests for a native FreeBSD TSM client. :-)

Any comments?

regards,
le

PS: As already said, if there's a better place to submit this, tell
me. Is
there an "official" contact in the FreeBSD project responsible for
requests like this one?

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universität Wien
http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/