Email migration from VopMail

Alson van der Meulen freebsd at alm.xs4all.nl
Sat May 3 16:56:42 PDT 2003

* David Babler <dbabler at rigel.orionsys.com> [2003-05-04 01:34]:
> I have a customer who wants to move his dialup customers (600+ accounts)
> from VopMail on Windows 2000 to Unix. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he
> has all of his customers configured with a non-standard setup that
> VopMail supports for virtual domains, though 98% of them are in the real
> domain. Specifically he has them all set up to present a "username" as
> 'user at example.com', the same as their realmed dialup login.

Vpopmail: http://inter7.com/vpopmail.html
should be able to do what you want, it supports usernames like
'user at domain'. It's designed to work with the qmail MTA, but the website
explains how to make it work with postfix. It's in the ports under
mail/vpopmail-stable.

> He needs SMTP, ASMTP, POP3 and IMAP. He DOES NOT want to have to have
> any customers change their setups or email addresses and I am having a
> devil of a time explaining how non-standard VopMail is. Does anybody
> know of any way that sendmail or postfix and anybody's POP3 and IMAP can
> be forced into authenticating with such a non-standard login?

SMTP will obviously be handled by sendmail/postfix. Since courier-imap
is listed as compatible with vpopmail, I assume you can use it for POP3
and IMAP. The only disadvantage is that vpopmail is designed to work
with qmail, so it uses the same tools and syntax (tcpserver,
/var/qmail/control).

For ASMTP, look under SASL on http://www.postfix.org/docs.html.

I assume this can be done with sendmail too, but I'm not sure whether
sendmail works with vpopmail.

HTH,
Alson