DHCP

Onyi C. Ejiasa tech at four10.com
Thu May 1 08:26:30 PDT 2003

Constantine,

Sounds like a dilemma. I would say that the short answer is you need to hook up a keyboard and monitor to your box and run an ifconfig to see what address is listed per interface. You could probably figure this out with a bunch of painful guesswork, but you don't want to put yourself thru all that if you don't have to.

I am confused with the whole "switcher" thing. What the heck is that? Are you referring to a 10base/100base switch or hub of some sort? My recommendation to you would be to get an inexpensive hub and a crossover cable. Connect these to your ZyXEL. Connect your BSD box and your laptop directly to the hub using straight thru cables.

This will allow you to use/test/diagnose/whatever both boxes independent of eachother. Regardless if the BSD box is wiggin' out or not, the WinXP comp. should work (and vise versa).

If this is not a option, then answer me some questions...

1.] What happens if you hook the DHCP nic on the FreeBSD box directly to the ZyXEL WITHOUT the "switcher"? Does it report an IP after running ifconfig?
2.] DO the same thing with the other network card in the BSD box. Are you able to ping from it to the router with an assigned ip on the same network?

Onyi C. Ejiasa
BlaQmail.com - Empower your e-mail.
Vote for my install @ sounddomain.com!
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima