qmail not listening

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Wed Jun 25 05:15:24 PDT 2003

That's a good start, though not always a desireable way to do it.  I
much prefer running qmail-send under daemontools.

> >> I read the docs and I've configured the virtual domains
> but doing netstat
> it
> >Which docs? 'Life With Qmail'?  The author's own docs?
>
> With the source, 2 faq's, qmail.org and from author site.

If your heart is set on running Qmail, you really need to check out the
LWQ, it's probably the most concise manual for running Qmail in
existence.
  http://www.lifewithqmail.org

Since you've already got the basic setup out of the way, start with
section 2.8:
  http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#start-qmail

> >Qmail-smtpd does use TCP.  How are you invoking it?  inetd?
> tcpserver?
> >We'd need to see config files, output of logs, etc.
>
> I've said how I configured it. Logs and configuration files
> are in http://www.vianaonline.com/qmail.txt

Good stuff, but where's the supervise process for qmail-smtpd?

A basic supervise script (run file) under daemontools looks something
like this (don't use this though, it has no error checking):

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
LOCAL=`head -1 /var/qmail/control/me`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
  /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
  -c "$MAXSMTPD" -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

> This server runs (as djbdns) with ip 192.168.1.2 behind natd.
> I've 3 domains wich dns redirects to natd. Then natd does
> portforward to 192.168.1.2

Yup, dnbdns is pretty much a braindead installation, it depends on
daemontools to run.  Qmail, on the other hand, can be run in a variety
of ways, and DJB leaves that up to the user to figure out.

> It's running very well tith apache and djbdns except qmail.

Hopefully by now, you'll have yourself an operational mail server.

> I need some hints please.

Oh, some more hints... You'll need to set up additional supervise
scripts for pop3 and imap services if you want them.  Both are fairly
trivial to set up under daemontools.

Good luck,

--
  Troy Settle