FBSD5 syslogd not logging

Scot W. Hetzel hetzels at westbend.net
Tue Jun 24 16:13:06 PDT 2003

From: "Sing Song" <song at isot.com>
> Quoting "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels at westbend.net>:
> > From: "Sing Song" <song at isot.com>
> > How are you stoping/starting syslogd? (reboot, /etc/rc.d/syslogd, ...)
> >
> > If your using /etc/rc.d/syslogd, make sure that /etc/rc.conf has
> > syslogd_flags defined to the correct value.
> >
> > Is the FBSD 5.x system using the same IP address as the old FBSD 4.x
> > system?
> > If it's not you may need to either change the FBSD 5.x IP address to the
> > old
> > 4.x IP address or change the syslog address on the routers.
> >
> > Scot
>
> I stop and restart with 'killall -HUP syslogd'
> I'm using '/usr/sbin/syslogd'
> The IP address and the port is same.

When you were giving syslogd the HUP signal, all it did was tell the
currently running syslogd to re-read its configuration file
(/etc/syslogd.conf), no flag changes were made to the running syslogd. And
if you try to start a second syslogd daemon you should have gotten an error:

    # /usr/sbin/syslogd -s -a westbend.net
    syslogd: child pid 4423 exited with return code 1

You should have given syslogd the TERM signal, and then started syslogd with
the correct flags.

> What's funny is the logfiles to turn over as set in syslog.conf.

You should be using /etc/rc.d/syslogd to stop/start syslogd when changing
the flags for syslogd.  You should be adding your changes to /etc/rc.conf,
specifically add the following to rc.conf:

    syslogd_flags="-a *.isot.com"

NOTE: you may of may not
Then stop and start syslogd with:

    /etc/rc.d/syslogd stop