What would be the best way to copy lots of files from one server to another.

Sun Jun 22 09:55:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:21:01 +0200
Etienne Ledoux <etienne at unix.za.org> wrote:

> I need to copy lots of directories/files from one server to another. Approx
> 45Gb . These files are mailboxes stored in maildir format. What would be the
> best/safest/quickest way to do this ?

Not mentioned yet:
  cd /path/to/root/of/files && tar -cf - . | ssh me at destination 'cd /path/to destination && tar -xvpf -'
or similar with "dump ... | ssh ... restore ..." with either the native
compression of ssh or tar (or no compression at all if the transfered
size doesn't matter).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.