What would be the best way to copy lots of files from oneserver to another.

Tom Samplonius tom at sdf.com
Sat Jun 21 14:52:44 PDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Simon wrote:

> I recently used rsync to copy ~35gb worth of data, 1,170,168 inodes,
> without any problem over 100mbps interface. Took 3 or so hours.
> You do need lots of RAM, if you swap, you're screwed. RAM
> usage would depend on number of files you need to copy at once.
>
> -Simon

  Yes, rsync uses large amounts of memory when the fileset is large.
Plus, depending on your CPU, you might want to avoid using ssh encryption
too.

  Usually if it is a LAN to LAN copy, cpdup over NFS will be WAY faster
than rsync, and use little memory.  I've used cpdup for moving mail to a
new server.  I synced before the cutover, shutdown the mail server, synced
one more, and then brought up the mail server on the system.  Very tidy.

Tom