2x HP Netserver (LH 3r) connected to a Netserver Rackstorage 12

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Fri Jun 20 10:46:42 PDT 2003

Etienne Ledoux <etienne at unix.za.org> writes:

> My question is with regards to the servers I want to use as the NFS
> mailstore(2x HP Netserver (LH 3r) connected to a Netserver Rackstorage 12).
> Can I run FreeBSD on it too ? I guess the answer is yes? but Is FreeBSD the
> best option for this type of hardware and will it be difficult to configure.
> Or is Linux a better alternative ? I honestly have no idea what the best
> option is and don't want to reliase a month or two later when everything is
> live that I made a mistake and shouldve done something else or installed
> something else.

The OS you choose shouldn't be a problem, but you're going to need to
look carefully into your filesystem choices, as you'll need a
specialized filesystem that supports multiple simultaneous access.
The standard linux and BSD filesystems don't work with multiple
accessors.  Take a look at GFS and other clustering file systems.

On the other hand, if you only plan on having one of the systems
running at any one time, and the other one is just a hot-spare, then
it doesn't matter.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted at impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen at pobox.com