What would be the best way to copy lots of files from one server to another.

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Jun 20 09:55:29 PDT 2003

While normally not able to pour water out of a boot with
instructions on the heel, on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:36
our dear friend Wolfpaw - Dale Corse uttered this load of codswallop:

> That will also work :P And even faster
> if the drives are both local :)

True.  But when a new client needed to move his sizeable web site
to one of the servers I mainain - he gave me access to his account
- on a Verio machine - and I rynced cross country.

I did this for him as he tried to tar up his old site and his space
restriction was such that it was going to take him hours to do it
in pieces, transmit and rebuild.  rsync did the job in about 1/10th
the time with only about 5% of the effort.

Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com