2x HP Netserver (LH 3r) connected to a Netserver Rackstorage 12

Etienne Ledoux etienne at unix.za.org
Fri Jun 20 05:19:39 PDT 2003

I will have the privilage of installing something on the above mentioned
hardware. I've never installed/configured hardware like this. Basically it is
2 servers connected to a exteral raid device with scsi cables. These servers
can access the device at the same time. Which makes it nice for redundency
and load balancing.

We are going to use it as a big NFS mailstore which other mail servers will
access to deliver mail (smtp/pop3, etc.).

The mailservers will all be running FreeBSD (postfix, amavisd-new,
courier-imap/pop3, sqwebmail,freevrrpd, etc. etc). *feerr!*
I will put these servers behind a FreeBSD firewall using ipnat for round-robin
load balancing.

So it should eventually be a nice big redundent, load balanced mailserver
behind a firewall and everybox will be running FreeBSD.

My question is with regards to the servers I want to use as the NFS
mailstore(2x HP Netserver (LH 3r) connected to a Netserver Rackstorage 12).
Can I run FreeBSD on it too ? I guess the answer is yes? but Is FreeBSD the
best option for this type of hardware and will it be difficult to configure.
Or is Linux a better alternative ? I honestly have no idea what the best
option is and don't want to reliase a month or two later when everything is
live that I made a mistake and shouldve done something else or installed
something else.

tx
e.