Did you guys get a spam email with subject 'Make extra income

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Mon Jun 16 16:55:25 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:12 , Men gasped, women fainted, and small
children were reduced to tears as Jesse Wilson confessed to all:

> Spammers never go through the effort of personally harvesting e-mail
> addresses.  They simply have bots crawling the web picking up e-mail
> addresses off of the different websites.

Not neccesarily.  One way is to suck in the email addresses of ALL
users on a system running majordomo if the hole hasn't been
pathched.

> Also, spammers never send the e-mail with a real e-mail address in the
> from line either.

Which is why you watch the SMTP server IPS [ since most names are
forged ]

> My only effective way of blocking spam is to use unique e-mail
> addresses like you were doing with the freebsd@ one and then
> blocking those unique ones once they start getting spam.

Use a decent spam filter.  I have been using the same email address
since 1996 and don't have the problems that many people attribute
not changing your email address regularly.  I don't change my real
name or phone number, so why should I change my email address if I
have it under control.

You are also told not to post to NG's with a real name.  I've been
posting since 1985 - but in those days it was a .uucp name.  I do
mung the reply to but not severely.

> Once an address starts getting
> nailed it's on spam databases everywhere and so it's done for.

Common names are real spam attractants.  Avoid names like
Bill, Bob, Joe, etc.

I remember seeing lists when people were tyring to relay that
started with all common names starting with "a" at the major public
sites [yahoo, aol, etc], then the next batch would be 'b' names.

That will help too.

Bill

Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com