Did you guys get a spam email with subject 'Make extra income

Charles Hatvany Charles at hatvany.com
Mon Jun 16 13:50:20 PDT 2003

Or you can filter the spam.  We use a filter and offer a filtering service to anyone.  Please do not flame me as this is NOT a solicitation - just another option vs unique addresses.  Those need to be changed frequently as Jesse mentioned.  Some of mine start getting spam within a few hours.

Charles

>>> "Jesse Wilson" <dont.spam.me at clatsopwebdesign.com> 6/16/03 3:12:08 PM >>>
Spammers never go through the effort of personally harvesting e-mail
addresses.  They simply have bots crawling the web picking up e-mail
addresses off of the different websites.

If the FreeBSD mailing list is mirrored on the web the e-mail addresses
need to be salted so that bots can not recognize them as addresses.

Also, spammers never send the e-mail with a real e-mail address in the
from line either.  Most of the time, most to all of the headers are
forged. So the name and e-mail address that it was sent from probably
aren't the same as what the spammer would be subscribed to the FreeBSD
list with if he actually was subscribed to it anyway.

My only effective way of blocking spam is to use unique e-mail addresses
like you were doing with the freebsd@ one and then blocking those unique
ones once they start getting spam.  Once an address starts getting
nailed it's on spam databases everywhere and so it's done for.

Jesse

Message: 1