enteprise account management

Lee Johnston lee at wildcardinternet.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 10:25:33 PDT 2003

I looked into the LDAP solution a while back... Basically you'll be fine using LDAP if the applications can query an LDAP directory directly, or via PAM using PADLs pam_ldap module.

The problem comes when you need system accounts stored in an LDAP directory, as far as I know (or at least this was the case a few months ago) the nss_ldap module won't work with with FreeBSD Nameserver switch preventing alternative methods of storing system account details. Mind, someone did mention this was possible by recompiling the C library to use BIND IRS.

Another solution maybe to use PADLs commercial NIS/LDAP gateway, so you have a replacement for an NIS server which queries an LDAP directory - http://www.padl.com/

Hope this helps,
Lee.