quick poppassd question

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Mon Jun 2 08:49:11 PDT 2003

Perhaps someone can shed more light on the subject, but it's my
impression that most system process run with a UID/GID under 100.  So a
uid < 100 should deny the change request.

Then again, in this day and age, isn't it advisable to do away with
system accounts for users?  On most of my boxes, there are exactly 2
passwords in the passwd file: one for my ssh access and another so I can
su to root.  On the one box that does have system accounts for users,
they can use /usr/bin/passwd directly.

All 4.2k users on my system authenticate from a MySQL database for mail
and ftp access.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks