checking dns records from named.conf

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Mon Jul 21 11:19:27 PDT 2003

Adam Maloney <adamm at sihope.com> writes:

> Something like:
>
> for DOMAIN in `cat /etc/named.conf | grep "zone" | awk '{ print $2 }' |
> sed s/\"//g`; do dig @f.gtld-servers.net $DOMAIN | grep "ns1.ispro.net.tr"
> 2>&1 > /dev/null || echo "$DOMAIN not pointed here"; done
>
> (untested, but basically what I've done in the past whenever I need taht).
> For each domain in named.conf, query the root-servers for the authorative
> NS records (ns1.ispro.net.tr should be replaced with your primary
> nameserver).  Then if the grep does not succeed (your nameserver not in
> the output) then echo the domain so we know about it.
>
> May take some tweaking.

This works, but only for .com and .net addresses.  For .org you have
to query nstld.com, and for any of the other GTLDs or the CCTLDs, you
have to hit their servers.  Does anybody know of a program that does
this all automatically?  Would be a nice little utility to write.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted at impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen at pobox.com