PSA 1.13 Linux -> PSA 6 FreeBSD

Eric Veraart eric at monkey-online.net
Sat Dec 27 05:56:48 PST 2003

A client of mine is running Plesk 1.13 (actually Slash, but it's the same
thing) on TurboLinux (Linux version 2.2.14-3). I've set up a new server
running FreeBSD and Plesk 6.
I noticed that all the account information (including passwords) are in the
DB of Plesk 1.13. I don't have to copy all the website content etc but just
the accounts, passwords, domains etc.

I was wondering about the best strategy. Uptil now I figured the best way was:
- Install a temporary server with Linux
- copy psa 1.13 and passwd/group files to it,
- update to psa 5.0
- update to psa 6
- use the backup util and place the backup on the FreeBSD server

The worst way of copying is filling in the new server by hand. I was
wondering, if all the information I need is in the database. Isn't it
possible to just place the db on the new server, and let PSA 5 update the
database and create all the sysusers? I have already found MySQL commands
in the etc dir of PSA 6, to update the 1.13 db to psa 2 -> 5 -> 6 which
worked flawlessly. The problem however is that the sysusers won't be created.

I'm not so into the way PSA handles the database info for creating system
files. I already informed about the costs for SW-Soft of doing the
transfer, but they couldn't tell how long it would take and thus how much
it would cost, so that's not an option.