/etc/ipf.conf - ipfilter

nanard nanard at crystunix.com
Sat Dec 20 12:57:12 PST 2003

Hi,

I use IPF with Snort, and Guardian.
Snort detects when there are port scan and Guardian adds the ip attacker to
IPF.

Snort is in ports tree.
Guardian is free on http://www.chaotic.org/guardian/

To works with IPF, i had to change my IPF configuration:

At the beginning on my rules, i put this:
pass in from any to any keep state head 10

Then i ve my rules which block by default.
For instance,

#---------------- IN ICMP (30) - tl0 ---------- #
block in log proto icmp all head 30
pass in quick proto icmp from any to X.Y.Z.W icmp-type 11 group 30
pass in quick proto icmp from A.B.C.D to X.Y.Z.W  group 30
#----------------------------------#
idem for OUT, and for IN/TCP, OUT/TCP, etc

Then guardian, when it added an ip, it calls a script that i modified to be
in group 10:

echo "block in log $options on $interface from $source to any group 10" |
/sbin/ipf -f -

You can say to Guardian the time for a deny ip and the trusted ip.
It s useful in the case of the attacker spoof your gateway for instance (it
wont block it).

I hope it can help you.

Regards,