djbdns

Greg Cirino - Cirelle Enterprises gcirino at cirelle.com
Thu Dec 11 16:16:48 PST 2003

| > But my clients use de same ip for cache(dnscahe=my actully public ip) and

The basic logic for djbdns

tinydns - authorative IP
axfrdns - authorative IP

dnscache - alternate IP

tinydns used for resolving domains you own on UDP
axfrdns used for accepting requests from TCP (larger than 512)

dnscache used for resolving the internet (and your authorative domains)

Let's say your authorative domain server is registered with the internic as
NS.YOURDOMAIN.COM at IP 1.2.3.4 (this only contains domains you host)

tinydns should listen to 1.2.3.4
axfrdns should listen to 1.2.3.4

dnscache needs to be on a different IP (i.e. 1.2.3.5)

If you want your internal servers/workstations to be able to resolve the internet
you will need to change all primary dns entries in resolv.conf (or network on
windows machines) to the IP of dnscache (in this case 1.2.3.5).

A good reference can be found at:
http://lifewithdjbdns.org/

HTH
Greg