disk error / failure: need help! (smart failure predicted)

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Thu Dec 11 12:50:36 PST 2003

> > At the moment the disk works (still). What is the easiest way to
> > copy everything from this disk to another new one (including boot
> > mgmr, mbr)
> >
> > the system has in total 3 disks, but only the first (the broken one)
> > is bootable.
> >

> Put in another disk drive temporarily, and since this is only a one time
> thing, you can use dd. Try to eliminate most, if not all access to the
> box:
>
> # dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad4
>
> Substitute ad4 with the dev name of the temporary drive. Once dd is
> done, take out the primary disk and replace it with the new clone. Read
> man dd(8) as I don't know off the top of my head what the optimal
> options would be for dd in this case.

I'm following a thread in questions right now, and I must agree with
some of the posts stating that using dd on the / filesystem could cause
grief if the partition is mounted. You may want to use a fixit floppy or
alternative boot method and then dd the disk to ensure no writes occur
whilst in transfer.

Steve