webmail server

Alexander Marx mad-ml at madness.at
Wed Dec 10 15:33:41 PST 2003

Omar Refai wrote:
> Howdy all. This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone out there is
> having much success using a webmail server in production? Tried out horde
> but it is incredibly slow.

hm .. i don't know how you define "incredibly slow" but my experience
with horde/imp is quite the contrary .. its imho pretty fast,
has good scalability  (e.g. a loadbalancer, a bunch of
webservers and the sky is the limit), has a nice/intuitiv looking gui,
a reasonable default featureset .. and it's even realtively easy
to write your own horde modules ...

.. did you read the suggestions in the horde/docs/PERFORMANCE
especially regarding PHP accelerators and/or the mcrypt PHP extension ..

> I have heard that squirrel mail with dovecot
> or courier for an IMAP server is pretty good but haven't heard from anyone
> using it at a production level.

arround here, we are using a loadbalanced (w/ linux virtual server)
horde/imp setup with a courier-imap backend ...

works reasonably well for ~ 45k users.

> -Omar

alex.