adding more ram

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Dec 10 07:46:36 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:41:11AM -0500, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> Systems such as the Irix I used before moving the servers to FBSD
> around 1996 - reserverd swap space for applications when the
> application started up so those needed large swap space.  Often it
> was never used, but the design allocated it anyway.

I also remember what fun could be had on an IRIX 5.3 machine with leaky
X11 servers. SGI's Xsgi memory leaks on that IRIX release were particularly
noticeable when using it on a 24-bit Indy and viewing lots of porn^Wgraphics.

This seemed to be down to Xsgi reserving lots of swap in lieu of a heavy
backing store workload, which it didn't actually use. And this often brought
Xsgi crashing to a halt anyway.

So I would have mixed feelings about adopting such a scheme in future.

BMS