adding more ram

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Dec 9 22:38:49 PST 2003

In the last episode (Dec 10), nbari at unixmexico.com said:
> I have a server with 1GB of RAM and a swap partition of 2GB i will
> upgrade the memory server to 2GB so my questions are:
>
> should i fix the swap partition to have now 4GB of space ?

Depends.  Have you ever used up that 2gb of swap?  If not, you'll
probably never consume 4gb either :)  If this is a database server, or
something similar where a few processes allocate large amounts of
memory, you don't need much swap anyway, since if any of those
processes actually has to swap, you end up thrashing the system as it
tries to swap 500mb processes in and out of memory.  I really can't
think of a system that would still perform well with 2 or 3GB of
process space in swap.  At the 2gb RAM point, you usually have a system
where any swapping == bad news.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com