Apache13-fp + Named Virtual Hosts

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Mon Aug 4 22:02:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to mention in first post that I'm not on freebsd-isp.  I
> am on freebsd-questions though.
>

> Greetings,
> I installed apache13-fp from the ports on my 4.7-stable box.
> Started it up (thanks scot) and got it running.  Works just
> fine publishing from Frontpage 2000 to the apache webserver.
>
> Unfortunately, I need to have this apache server implimentation
> hosts a couple sites.  So here is what I tried:
>
> 1. Shutdown apache server.
> 2. Modify httpd.conf.  Changed DocumentRoot to be /websites/data
>     changed <Directory "/websites/data">
> 3. Uncommented NameVirtualHost * line in httpd.conf
> 4. Added VirtualHost blocks
>     <VirtualHost *>
>        DocumentRoot /websites/data/internal
>        ServerName www.osborneindustries.com
>     </VirtualHost>
>     <VirtualHost *>
>       DocumentRoot /websites/data/test
>       ServerName test.osborneindustries.com
>    </VirtualHost>
>
> 5. Made sure last Virtual Host block was:
>    <VirtualHost _default_:80>
>     ServerName test.osborneindustries.com
>    </VirtualHost>
>
> 6. Reran /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/fp_install.sh
>     no to sub/user webs.  Yes to virtual hosts.
>

> It doesn't work right when I try to use the setup.  It either doesn't
> think the extension are running on the server, or it perpetually asks
> for username/password and won't accept the ones I defined in
> fp_install.sh.

	Can you hit the site via a web browser? e.g.:

		http://www.osborneindustries.com

	Make sure your virtual hosts are working before you even try fp
	extentions.  Make sure the user/group that owns the files in
	DocumentRoot have uid/gui > 100.  Make sure you have the proper
	'AllOveride All' directives for those directories.  Use the
	owsadm.exe command line tool if fp_install.sh still doesn't work.

	Oh and forgot to mention, close httpd.conf file before running
	these tools.  The install will fail if httpd.conf is opened
	with vi or another editor.

Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
-
  How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
  				-Emo Philips