Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 27 03:26:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:37:19 +0100
Ignatios Souvatzis <is at beverly.kleinbus.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:07:03PM +0100, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:
> >
> > Am 25.11.2010 um 12:08 schrieb Cologne Chip AG:
> >
> > > Dear Julian,
> > >
> > > it is a misinterpretation of the letter that you have received,
> > > that Deutsche Telekom (DT) intends to terminate the ISDN service.
> >
> > This is correct.  DT is not going to drop ISDN in the near future.
> > But, depending on your area, you may sooner or later get voice
> > substituted by VOIP technology.  This may not affect your ISDN b
> > channels, but you will not be able to use the d channel for anything
> > else than call setup and termination.  Especially, if you are
> > currently using X.31 over the d channel, this will cease to work.
> >
> > If you go for call&surf, make sure you get it with ISDN, not the
> > cheaper ones with VOIP or POTS.
>
> I worry more about the access to other IP over DSL providers via
> DT's DSL concentrator network. The "Leistungsbeschreibung Call &
> Surf Basic (4.1)/Universal." only mentions IPv4 access, nothing
> else.

I doubt that the regulatory agency would allow DT to stop access to their
DSLAMs for other providers.  I also doubt that DT would get away with
blocking IPv6 running over their networks.  The Bundesnetzagentur would
come down on them like a ton of bricks.

AFAIK DT is "studying" the implementation of IPv6.  They've "studying"
that for a long time now.  Apparently, DT has enough IPv4 addresses to
handle their needs for the foreseeable future and aren't in any hurry.

--
Gary Jennejohn