isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:01:01 UTC 2008

Hi

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Volker <volker at vwsoft.com> wrote:
> so, you're upgrading your OS, changing the i4b subsystem and doing a lot
> of other stuff to just not change a script? ;)

It may look like that now, but it was sort of the other way around. :-)

This machine was running 5.3 / 5.4-prerelease. Once that "branch" was
EOL'ed (ok, some time after in fact) it got harder to support the
ports on the machine, as the ports infrastructure remove support for
unsupported branches (which is very wise, I might add).
So I was really looking to upgrade the os (and the ports) on the machine anyway.
HPS' ISDN4BSD stack has always been needed to support  my isdn card.
I was just trying to do as little as I could by just upgrading to
5.5-stable. Had I known that I would get hit by these changes, I would
just have backed up the database and installed 6.3-stable directly, it
would have saved some time.
The machine is running callid[1] (which is where the call-logd script
comes from) and a few other ports.

> Anyway, I've never tried HPS' isdn4bsd but if isdnd is nearly
> compatible, you may want to try to use the regexpr/regprog functionality
> and call your script (or a wrapper for it) from there.

calling the script isn't the problem. call-logd calls isdntrace and
reads the output from it. The problem is that somewjere along the
development path for HPS' isdn4bsd stack, the output format of
isndtrace changed from a pure text-based output (which is easily
parsed by a program) to a text formatted "hexdump with annotations"
format which is much harder to parse.

Anyway, now the machine is upgraded to 6.3-stable and HPS has offered
to "fix" the isdn4bsd stack - we'll see how it goes. It seems like I
will be submitting a PR for a change to the callid port in the near
future.