Support of ISDN Subsystem under Freebsd 6.x/7.x - amd64

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Feb 14 15:27:26 PST 2008

Hi,

> Maybe we should continue this discussion after Christmas?

I have been thinking a little bit and I believe that ISDN4BSD will become more
IP-based in the future. ISDN4BSD already puts all data into so called "mbufs"
which are used to hold IP-packets. Internally ISDN4BSD could possibly use the
IP stack when briding a call, because then it will become possible that the
sound can be routed directly to the physical piece of hardware that is
handling a call, instead of routing everything into userland, through
Asterisk for example, and then back again into the kernel. Of course this
might mean that we have to put some voice codecs into the kernel, but I think
that support for A-law and u-law will be sufficent for a while.

Maybe each ISDN adapter should allocate a network adapter for itself and then
feed all D-channel and B-channel data into the kernel through IPv4 or IPv6
UDP frames to a programable IP-address. Then if you have a firewall loaded in
the kernel, routing those IP-packets somewhere else can be a piece of cake.
This also brings up some interesting questions like that the DSS1 protocol
becomes a UDP client in the kernel. Then you can actually run the DSS1
protocol on a different machine than the one where the ISDN cable is
physically connected.

Any comments ?

--HPS