Support of ISDN Subsystem under Freebsd 6.x/7.x - amd64

Oliver von Bueren maillist at ovb.ch
Sun Dec 2 12:18:55 PST 2007

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>> If there would be enough interest, more people would have stood up and
>> - helped with the current code
>> - helped hps with his code to get it in
>> - ...
>>
>> No, there is great demand but only few hands
>
> I really shouldn't be commenting on this stuff at all, since I
> 1) haven't looked at i4b in years and
> 2) don't even have a src-commit bit any more
>
> I was thinking about this a little yesterday. It seems like one approach
> would be for someone to sponsor HPS for a src-commit bit and he could
> then import his stuff under /usr/src/contrib and keep it up-to-date.
>
> That could be a good fit since there are already lots of things in
> there which are maintained by external developers or by a single
> developer.
>
> The problem is finding a committer who is interested enough in i4b to
> step forward and invest time in this. I lost interest years ago after
> DSL became affordable here in Germany.
>
> Another option, as I wrote in my previous mail, would be to have HPS'
> stuff in a port. This IMO would be the path of least resistance.

Hi Gary

The thing with the DSL making ISDN kind of obsolete counted for me for
some time as well. I've used i4b with the IP over HDLC for my first ISDN
internet dialup access able to route a 3bit subnet. These times are long
gone, but now the ISDN is back for me in a very different way, as a
bridge between VoIP and the public telephone network. ISDN is a thing
not common to the American continent , making it much harder to have
proper support for it.

 From my point of view it would be better to have it in the tree and not
as a port. The main reason for this thinking is that the current (and
only) way for HPS to have it integrate into the system is by patching
quite a lot of files. This has to break from time to time as the base
system moves on. Every time it does, a new effort is needed to "fix" or
better re-integrate it. If it would be integrated into the base/contrib
in a way that avoids the installation by patching method, this could
possibly be avoided as well and the resources/time used for more
productive work than doing the same task over and over again.

I understand the problem with finding someone able and willing to lend
HPS a hand in getting it in in the first place. My other question is,
does HPS like the idea of having it in the tree and maintaining it there?
Hans Petter, what's your point of view on this?

Cheers,
Oliver