Asterisk on FreeBSD + ISDN BRI

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed May 25 05:02:41 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 09:59, Eric Masson wrote:
> "Marcus Franke" <Marcus.Franke at gmx.net> writes:
> > This is other than capi4linux, which controls at least some
> > of the passive cards, too. Or does it work just with those
> > Fritz! cards from AVM?
>
> See here :
> http://www.nord-com.net/thomas.wintergerst/
>
> > So, c4b plus an active card will work with asterisk?
>
> It should as Asterisk supports capi as telephony interface.

I checked out the port "/usr/ports/net/asterisk" and it says that "chan_capi"
is an alternative to i4l. But looking through the sources there are no
references to "libcapi20" which C4B provides?

But is it that difficult to write an asterisk driver that supports I4B using
"/dev/i4btelN" and "/dev/i4bteldN"?

The only problem I see is that the official version of I4B doesn't support an
alert phase: calls must be either accepted or rejected. But that is not a
problem if one uses my version of I4B:
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/temporary/

Then one can configure isdnd so that each "/dev/i4btelN" only answers/alerts
one telephone number (MSN).

I think you will be best off with a passive ISDN card, versus ISDN over CAPI.

--HPS