New ISDN driver

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Aug 13 13:18:24 GMT 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 13:12, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:36:25 +0200 (CEST)
>
> hm at kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis) wrote:
> > I'm really tired of this subject and wasting time writing mail on this
> > back and forth and back and forth.
>
> Do you have archives of this? Would it be possible to make them public
> (if Hans-Peter agrees)?

From what I can remember, there was an issue about the use of macros to
generate code. That is no longer done. Instead the code looks almost like the
drivers in i4b/layer1/isic/ ... Though I still use macros to generate data
structures and do some initializing, to make updating as easy and error less
as possible, but I see no problem about that.

For example in "/sys/i4b/include/capi20.h" I use macros to generate most of
the CAPI structures. This allows the users to also generate structures
without having to use any additional script. Maybe I could have used a script
like awk to do this, but then the file gets "n" times larger. But once you
get used to "YES", "NO" and "NOT", and understand what these macro building
blocks really do, it is very easy to understand.

If you want to see what "capi20.h" really contains, use:

cpp capi20.h | sed -e 'y/;/\n/' | more

Another issue was Paul Henning complaining about the use of "goto *(ptr)".
This is no longer used, and that part of the driver has been completely
rewritten.

Then the unresolved issue is to create a patch-set consisting of
self-contained patches that will update the official version of I4B. I
question wether this is possible. You have to do a larger "update" in one
commit, and maybe FreeBSD 7 current is a good place to do this "update"?

--HPS