driver for usr 3409 pci ta

n0g0013 ttz at cobbled.net
Sun Sep 26 05:47:09 PDT 2004

hello again.  started work on this driver but, as this is my
first ever attempt at writing a device driver i'm struggling.

my basic problem is a general understanding of PCI
architecture and operation.  i've read the handbook
documentation and some other refs i dug up on the web.
unfortunately they appear to have a basic understanding of
hardware (and PCI) as a requisite.

so, here's the question.  since this thing is a TA i figure all
i need is some pretty simple IO to the card.  but i can't find
any references to using memory mapped or direct IO.  i remember
a lot of IO used to be byte pairs, one in, one out and an IRQ
channel for control but a little scared to start dumping data
into memory mapped resource space or IO channels as it's been
a long time since i even looked at this stuff.

also, are there standard PCI register information or are these
completely card specific?  these are accessed with the PCIR_BAR
macros, right?  so PCIR_BAR(1) will get me PCI register one . .
. but i don't understand the relationship of these macros to the
resource id for the bus_*_resource calls.

i guess what i need is a base line reference (pci interest
group will sell me specs i don't need) or a very simple PCI
driver that illustrates the above.

going to continue hacking in the mean time.  thanks for any
help you can offer.

P.S: here is the output from pciconf -lv
	none2 at pci0:11:0: class=0x028000 card=0x340916ec \
			chip=0x66921050 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
	vendor   = 'Winbond Electronics Corp.'
	device   = 'W6692/92A/92CF PCI BusISDN S/T-Controller'
	class    = network
P.P.S: if this is a TA then i don't expect the iwic driver \
	will work. + the subdevice id's don't match any in the \
	source