Why is bus_set_resource() rarely used? Docs for ISA cards

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Tue Nov 18 14:10:15 PST 2003

Alexander Farber writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to learn how the i4b ISA drivers are
> programmed by reading the "Arch Handbook" and looking
> at i4b/capi/iavc/iavc_isa.c on my FreeBSD 4-stable PC
> and wonder why doesn't iavc (and most other ISDN cards)
> use bus_set_resource()? I only see bus_alloc_resource()
> being called for SYS_RES_IOPORT and _IRQ in iavc_isa.c

Most of these drivers were written before the entire bus support was
added to FBSD. Since they work as they are, why change them?

> Also I have the following ISA cards:
>
> 	AVM ISA v3.0
> 	USR Sportster
> 	Teles 16.3
> 	Siemens smth.
>
> Where did the people writing drivers for those cards
> get the information on how to reset those cards, to
> which ports to write what, etc.? Could someone please
> point me to the docs? Thanks

I don't know for sure about these cards, but I suspect that the Linux
driver was used as a reference. The Linux developers seem to be able to
get documentation from the manufacturers more easily than we can :-(

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org gj[at]denx.de