ipfw: switching sets does stall the machine

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Jun 14 17:20:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 05:33:02PM +0200, Peter wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to use two different configurations (production and test)
> loaded into different sets, and switch between them with
>
>    # ipfw set disable ... enable ...
>
> When testing my script, this did work, except once the machine went
> into "swap_pager indefinite wait" and was lost.

IIRC, this message means that a command was sent to a disk controller
and at least 20 seconds have elapsed with no response from that
controller.  That doesn't seem like an "ipfw" issue, per se.

> Then, after reboot (and automatically loading the production rules) I
> tried to load and switch to the test rules, and immediately got ATA
> COMMAND TIMEOUT and the machine was lost.

Again, that's a disk subsystem (apparently) doing Bad Things.

> I repeated this a few times, it is nicely reproducible: withing 3-5
> seconds after the new rules are loaded, the machine locks up and is
> lost.

It's at least plausible that the catalyzing activity causes a certain
disk I/O pattern that does the actual triggering (I expect).

> I analyzed more closely by running "top -HPS" in rtprio, and found
> this:
>  * when switching sets, the command returns, but then within few
>    seconds the machine gets unresponsive and stays so until watchdog
>    hits.
>  * The last thing seen in "top" (before it freezes) is this thread
>    eating 85% CPU (and running with high priority):
>    [irq12: uhci0 uhci1]
>

> It there a known workaround?

My inclination is for you to check the disk drive(s), cabling, and
controller(s) before much else.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Donald Trump advocated for the executions of five factually innocent young men.