Named states in ipfw (and old rulesets)

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 14 22:32:48 UTC 2016

Hello Andrey,

Sunday, August 14, 2016, 9:01:15 PM, you wrote:

 I have very formal objection against "any unknown token after *-state is
state name": it hides mistakes and typos very well. I've been bitten by this
right now. New patch uses "defer-action", but old "record-state skip-action"
passes without error, because "skip-action" is valid state name!

 Please, change this to some prefix to state name (:name, @name or something
like this) or to "state-action(name)" format. It will be much better: less
error-prone and will work without ugly warnings on old rulesets.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org