[Panic] Dummynet/IPFW related recurring crash.

Peter Jeremy peter at vk2pj.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 21 07:35:50 UTC 2011

On 2011-Feb-20 01:39:00 +0100, Pawel Tyll <ptyll at nitronet.pl> wrote:
>Since nobody came up with any interest in having this properly
>investigated, then I suppose I'm the only one that uses dummynet for
>some larger-scale traffic shaping - maybe that's my mistake?

I'm using dummpnet+pf (not ipfw) on (roughly) FreeBSD 7.2 quite
extensively for traffic shaping.  I have about 20 pipes varying from
600kbps to 100Mbps all with ~9msec delay.  There's a background load
of at least 10Mbps with peaks to several times that (and several 2Mbps
pipes are virtually permanently saturated).  The system has nearly 80
VLANs and uses CARP and lagg/LACP (1 bge and 1 em NIC) for redundancy.
The system has an uptime of several months.

I haven't responded before because I can't offer any solutions.  All
I can say is that I've been successfully using dummynet with ipfw or
pf for about a decade without any stability issues.

--
Peter Jeremy