problem analysys (Re: [Panic] Dummynet/IPFW related recurring crash.)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sun Feb 20 23:04:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:50:28PM +0100, Pawel Tyll wrote:
> This machine is only doing dummynet traffic shaping from significant
> things (otherwise it runs a dhcpd, ntpd and named). It's pretty
> straight-forward routing, packets come in, packets come out via static
> routes - there are currently no routing daemons involved. As to the
> interfaces, there are two physical ifaces, em0 and em1, only em1 is
> currently used. There are 49 vlan interfaces connected to em1, and
> they are pretty much static, no IP address changes, no interfaces
> going up or down, sometimes new one is being added, but there is no
> automation here, and panics do not coincide with anything significant
> in logs, or being done manually. Traffic oscillates between 20k pps at
> night and close to 35-40k pps daytime, slightly more on weekends.
> There are currently 2556 pipes defined and traffic shaping is done
> with two rules:
>
> 30000 pipe tablearg ip from table(100) to any in
> 30001 pipe tablearg ip from any to table(101) out

> If I missed anything here, then just tell me what more I can do, my
> intentions were never to make this harder to debug or hide anything
> relevant.

understood. I am just saying that for instance the vlan presence and
changes is  quite significant in this context.
You say vlans are "pretty much static" but can you tell us who adds/remove
them, assign addresses ?

Also the ruleset must have something more than those two rules.
>From the stack trace, the panic seems to occur in a call to the
"antispoof" option which presumably is somewhere in your ruleset.
If not, then the stack is corrupt.

cheers
luigi