[Panic] Dummynet/IPFW related recurring crash.

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 02:16:09 UTC 2011

2011/2/19 Pawel Tyll <ptyll at nitronet.pl>:
> Hi guys, lists,
>
> It's me, the bi-weekly panic guy. Guess what, it crashed today. As an
> act of desperation I disabled the pipe dumping script after previous
> crash, which today turned out to be merely a coincidence and didn't
> prevent panics. (I thought it to be a longshot anyway, but it was the
> only change I could associate with beginning of this). The only fix I
> could come up with, that's very wrong on so many levels, is...
>
> 30 1 * * 7 /sbin/shutdown -r +210m "Scheduled weekly reboot."
>
> :(
>
> ...but it solves it all: panics, inability to dump (which leads to
> freeze and requires manual intervention to bring system back up). Oh
> well.
>
> Since nobody came up with any interest in having this properly
> investigated, then I suppose I'm the only one that uses dummynet for
> some larger-scale traffic shaping - maybe that's my mistake? What
> others are using? Other tools, Linux, proprietary traffic shapers? I
> really have trouble writing another sentence in a way that won't make
> me look like an arrogant schmuck that feels entitled to free support,
> so I'll stop here. Any more ideas/hints what to do next/pointers how
> to debug this properly are of course still welcome.

Same backtrace as reported here?

What revision of the em(4) driver code are you using? I know Jack has
been working out certain quirky issues lately, and there have been
updates to the code since last you posted an update to your problem.

STABLE:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=217711

RELENG:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=217865

Maybe Jack could shed some light on the whether the updates could
somehow work out to be a fix for your problem -- or whether or not
your issue is even related to the em(4) driver.

-Brandon