pls help on 2 public ip

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Oct 16 07:48:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Lin Zhao wrote:
 > hi all
 >
 > we have a simple network
 >
 >                          |-------------|
 > internal network---------|   freeBSD   |----------public network
 >           rl0/192.168.0.1|-------------|fxp0/a.b.c.1
 >                                              a.b.c.2?
 >
 > currently 192.168.0.0/24 is natd to a.b.c.1, and i want to use another public ip
 > (a.b.c.2) for some special websites, such as www.abc.com.
 >
 > how can i configure the ipfw?
 > should i use alias ip or another nic?

If a.b.c.2 is a separate box from a.b.c.1 you'll likely want a separate
segment, ie on another nic.  If the same box, you can use an fxp0 alias.

Looks like you could probably use a slightly modified 'simple' ruleset
in rc.firewall as a starting point - though you'll want to enable ICMP
(see examples in the 'workstation' rules) and probably replace 'me' with
the specific a.b.c addresses in rules for the various services offered.

How is fxp0 connected to the public network?  Via another router?  Or eg
PPPoE over ADSL?  It may matter in terms of whether your uplink is via a
single address - that is, is a.b.c.2 reachable directly from the public
internet, or only via a.b.c.1?  How many public IPs have you (netmask)?

cheers, Ian