rc.firewall quick change

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 14 12:34:10 PST 2008

Julian Elischer wrote:
> I think the table is faster for mor ethan about 8 addresses (so we
> are borderline) but it's be hard to test..  You however use two rules
> so that would be slower.

I'm not a firewall expert so I won't comment on the specifics but I do
want to say that as a general rule "it works + fast/efficient" is MUCH
more important for default settings than "it works really well" or "it
works + more features." For better or worse we live in a world where
most users don't read the manuals, and that includes the ones running
"benchmarks" with default settings.

OTOH I do think it would be entirely appropriate to include a "better"
example commented out next to the "fast" default. I take a similar
approach with the default named.conf and have had good feedback from
users who appreciate pointers to more information when they actually
do get curious.

hth,

Doug