Dummynet and VMware

Feighery, Patrick D. feighery at mitre.org
Sat Mar 1 08:34:58 UTC 2008

I've used dummynet for many years and have found it to be a wonderful tool.
Now I want to start using dummynet inside a VMware virtual appliance running
under windows.  In terms of VMware Server, in the past I've noticed some
timing issues. For example, I've developed one application that requires a
watchdog timer to expire every 10 msec.  When I run this application in a
FreeBSD VM appliance under VMware, I've noticed quite a large variance in
the firing of this timer.  I'm curious if dummynet is effected in any way
when running under VMware. Does anyone have any experience with dummynet and
VMware?

Best Regards
       Pat

feighery at mitre.org