kern/121122: [ipfw] [patch] add support to ToS IP PRECEDENCE fields

Marcelo Araujo araujobsdport at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:03:15 UTC 2008

Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Hi, Marcelo.
>
> I talked to Roman when he submitted his first patch about
> it's design. What you think about making TOK_SETIPTOSPRE not
> an action, but a modifier? I think it will be much usable.
> A syntax example:
>
> # ipfw add allow iptospre flashover ip from any to any
> # ipfw add count iptospre immediate ip from anyt to any
> # ipfw add skipto ....
>
> Also I talked to Roman about extensible variant of this ability.
> A syntax example:
>
> <action> [{modip [DF|TOS|DSCP|TTL]}] <rule body>
>
> Also look into:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/102471
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/103454
>
> I added to CC several men who are active in ipfw area.
> It will be interested what you think about this?

Hi dear Andrey,

I think about the TOK_SETIPTOSPRE as a modifier, that set the IP
PRECEDENCE in the package.

The second rule:
# ipfw add count iptospre immediate ip from any to any

Makes more sense  for me, many users have ability to work with this syntax.
I believe be a good idea an extensible variant to apply and sort some
QoS models in layer IP, as you showed.
I've some time(5 months) to make my project degree[1] and apply my
research within of IPFW.
Yes, I've interest to work around this function, this work help me for
my degree project.
I think also this work is a good opportunity to work in SoC 2008.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/exports/w/list

Best Regards,

--
Marcelo Araujo            (__)