ipfw add skipto tablearg....

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Aug 19 13:47:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:12:04PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Julian Elischer wrote:
>  > ipfw add 1000 skipto tablearg ip from any to table(31)
>  > see attached patch... (hopefully not stripped)
>  >
>  > Of course it is hoped that the rules you are skipping to are nearby
>  > as it iterates through the rules following the skipto to find the
>  > target,
>
> Until $someone adds a direct skipto target jump at the virtual machine
> code level - big recalc hit when adding/deleting rules/sets I suppose -
> it's still the fastest way to get from a to b, where b > a

you mean with tables-based skipto targets ? Because the regular
skipto has been a constant-time op forever, even in ipfw1 i believe,
invalidating the target cache on a change and recomputing it the
fly at the first request.

> Speaking of which, should ipfw whinge when asked to skip backwards,
> which it can't, confirmed on a recent browse re Mike's ipfw-classifyd
> and a local test months ago.

right... but the error can only be reliably detected in the kernel,
as the rule number is not always known when the rule is added.

	cheers
	luigi