IPv6 tables?

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 14:41:44 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 06 Aug 2008, freebsd-ipfw-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 16:42:25 Max Laier wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008 16:33:04 Matt Dawson wrote:
> > > Just a quick question: What would it take to have similar functionality
> > > to the IPv4 tables in ipfw for v6? Is there a specific reason it isn't
> > > there (other than the fact that I haven't got my finger out and learnt
> > > the neccessary to add it myself ;) )?
> >
> > In FreeBSD 7 and above all three firewall packages included with FreeBSD
> > understand both IPv4 and IPv6.  Read the ipfw(8) man page for details on
> > how to setup IPv6 rules.
>
> Oh wait ... you asked something different.  Yeah, that would be nice to
> have.   pf does it.  If you need a reference.

I did notice pf had tables that can handle both v4 and v6. I hadn't thought of
reading pf's code to see how it's done, although pf's tables seem to handle
handle both versions (without looking at the code, just the manpage).  I'm
now wondering which approach would be less resource-hungry: Adding a
separate "table6" structure or modifying tables to accept v6. The former, to
my mind, is more economical with large tables.

Thanks to you and Julian for the replies. Looks like I have some code and
things to read through.
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at chronos.org.uk