trouble setting up outgoing pipe on a bridged interface

Cheng Jin chengjin at fastsoft.com
Mon May 14 19:50:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am using FreeBSD 5.4 (sorry that i am stuck using an old version) on a
machine with bridging enabled
on the two nics, vr0 and rl0.  i wanted to add two dummynet pipes on the
rl0 interface, one for incoming
bridged pkts received on rl0, and one for outgoing pkts transmitted by rl0.

Setting up the receiving pipe is no problem, but i have had a lot of
trouble getting the outgoing pipe
setup correctly.  none of the outgoing pipes i configured seem to take
effect.  i set the sysctl
variable bridge_ipfw=1

my first question is: is what i described possible for ipfw/dummynet in
FreeBSD 5.4?

Here is a sample of what i have tried for the ougoing pipe on rl0

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged out recv rl0  (now i see
why this isnt working, this is for
outgoing pkts recv on rl0, not an ougoing pipe transmitted by rl0)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any briged out xmit rl0 (outgoing
pkt transmitted by rl0, i read the
bridge code, and it appears that this wouldnt work for bridged pkts since
dummynet is called before the
outgoing interface is determined)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged out recv vr0 xmit rl0
(i guess this suffers the
same problem as the rule above?)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged via rl0 (last desperate
attempt at making something work,
and i am not too sure why it do anything)

I could set up the pipe by configuring it to do "in recv vr0" and it would
be fine, but I am quite
puzzled why i couldnt set up an ougoing pipe on the bridged interface like
I think I should be able to do.

Thanks!

Cheng