IPFW and NATD problem

Gardner Bell gbell72 at rogers.com
Tue May 8 16:43:53 UTC 2007

--LAN------------Switch---------FreeBSD-------------------------------ISP

> > Bge0 successfully receives an IP from my ISP's DHCP server and I
> can ping
> > the LAN without any issues.  When it comes to accessing the
> internet I get
> > a hostname lookup failure.
> >
> > Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Do you have "gateway_enable=yes" in your /etc/rc.conf? (check the
> value of the
> net.inet.ip.forwarding sysctl).

dan at mx1$ cat /etc/rc.conf | grep gateway
gateway_enable="YES"

dan at mx1$ sysctl -a | grep ip.for
net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1

> What DNS server is your LAN machine trying to use? Can you ping it
> (or
> anything else) by IP?

My LAN is presently using MY ISP's DNS server until I get a caching
name server configured on the gateway.  I can't ping the DNS server by
IP or hostname but I can ping everything else that is on my LAN by IP.
Including the switch, the IP that is assigned to bge1 and all the IPs I
have assigned to the machines behind the switch.

> JN

Gardner