how to go about diagnosing cause of packet loss

Ian FREISLICH if at hetzner.co.za
Tue Nov 28 23:55:42 PST 2006

"D G Teed" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I think you've helped us prove that ipfw isn't the issue.
> The packet loss remained with rule 01 of allow ip from any
> to any.  We'll need to measure our bandwidth
> processed on the box.  Thanks for the help.

What version of FreeBSD are you running.  I've been experiencing
wierd packet loss recently, which I suspect is a result of arp
wierdness or routing table largness.  It's a CURRENT box, ~1000
hosts behind it, ~1900 routes - not large by any stretch of the
imagination.  Packet loss doesn't seem related to bandwidth.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich