multiple incoming lines

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Sep 20 08:58:07 PDT 2005

G Bryant <bsdt at roamingsolutions.net> wrote:
 > Setup description:
 > 1x FreeBSD 5.4
 > 3x NIC's:  1x LAN, 2x connected to external DSL modems
 > int_if - LAN
 > ext_if1 - ISP1
 > ext_if2 - ISP2
 >
 > Both dsl modems use NAT too, so it is a nat - nat, but did have it
 > working for a single external line.
 > I am running 2 natd's that use the 2 external if's.
 >
 > My problem is that when I define a default route (internal IP of dsl
 > modem for ISP1), all the outgoing packets only want to use that route
 > (duh!),

That's expected behaviour, of course.  That's why it is
called the _default_ route.  All packets will take it,
unless there's a more specific route for the destination
address.

 > With no default route defined, I get the message - no route to destination.

Expected behaviour, too.

I'm not sure what you actually want to do.  Do you want to
use your two uplinks in a load-balancing fashion?  That's
not possible when using different ISPs for your uplinks
(even with the same ISP it's difficult).

Best regards
   Oliver

"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in its wake."