String Match

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Nov 10 05:58:01 PST 2005

Cesar <listas at itm.net.br> wrote:
 > An interesting thing in iptables is that option to match strings, like this
 > example:
 >
 > iptables -A FORWARD -p TCP -m string --string "BitTorrent protocol" -j
 > REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
 > iptables -A FORWARD -p TCP -m string --string "GET /announce" -j
 > REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
 >
 > Did anyone wrote a similar patch to ipfw? or ... Is this something desirable
 > to ipfw which the developers will put in the future?

I can't think of any real-world examples where string-
matching would be useful and work reliably.  The above
examples do not work reliably, because the rules would
also have rejected your email to this mailing list.  ;-)

If you want to filter on application level (e.g. certain
HTTP GET commands like the one above), you should do it
in the application (e.g. apache).  That's not the job of
a packet filter.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman