question concerned with dynamic rules

Orla McGann orly at cnri.dit.ie
Mon May 30 07:19:33 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 04:30:19PM +0300, Igor Popov wrote:
> 	Hi all,
> I have a question concerned with dynamic rules, say I have such rules:
> 	ipfw check-state
> 	ipfw allow udp from me to any out keep-state
>
> if ttl of my packet will be zero on some router in path, it sends me icmp
> error message ttl exceeded. Does last rule create dynamic rule that permit
> icmp error message? My experience with traceroute shows that a such rule is
> not created.
>
> But with such rules:
> 	ipfw check-state
> 	ipfw allow udp from me to any out keep-state
> 	ipfw allow icmp from any to me icmptype 3,4,11,12 in
> traceroute works.

  I don't think IPFW2 has the "related" and "reply" functionality that exists
in Netfilter; where packets related to a dynamic connection are also passed
through the filter, such as icmp packets. So you need to explicitly add rules
allowing these icmptypes.
   Regards,
    Orla
--
Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.
Teach a man to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.