Most wanted packet filter

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Wed Jul 20 12:32:14 GMT 2005

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i would like to know, which "firewall" is most wanted under freebsd. is it
>ipfw or is it ipf?
>
>i imagine, both have their advantages, but i would like to try first the
>most used because of support - poor rookie, i :-D

Don't forget about the third one, called pf. ;)
It's a hard question. What does matter is which of them is best the *for
You*. As for me I use ipf and ipfw together. I think ipf is very easy to
configure but ipfw has more sophisticated features, for instance it can
be used for bandwith controlling via dummynet facility. As for pf, I
don't know it.

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán