ipfw ruleset blocking game server

Dennis Olvany dennisolvany at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:18:50 PST 2005

Reed Loefgren wrote:
> I have been using ipfw for a little while now and have recently changed
> to a ruleset copied off of the FreeBSD website's documentation of ipfw.

The rulesets included in the FreeBSD Handbook and IPFW documentation,
namely rc.firewall, are quite primitive. You may want to consider using
something a bit more advanced.

> Does anyone here have any ideas about what
> port games such as this use to come back in?

Discovering ports is a trivial matter of running tcpdump and attempting
a connection with the game. You will most likely find that dynamic rules
will allow this ingress traffic, without the need to explicitly allow it.

If you post the output of ipfw list, I can assist in the creation of a
more scalable ruleset.